Gain the knowledge and tools to implement a deeper learning experience that develops student metacognitive skills and ensures they take responsibility for their own learning. This course walks you through a quality questioning process derived from cognitive research to facilitate dialogue and improve student outcomes. Learn to integrate effective questioning strategies into your daily practice to energize both teaching and learning.
Featuring dynamic videos and practice activities, this course will prepare you to:
- Develop questions that engage students in higher-order thinking, with questioning practices organized around the 6P framework:
- Prepare the Question
- Present the Question
- Prompt Student Thinking
- Process Student Responses
- Polish Questioning Practices
- Partner with Students
- Use research-based questioning practices to formatively assess student development, provide feedback and deepen the learning experience.
- Put strategies to use to create a classroom culture that nurtures students’ skills and where students take responsibility for their own progress.
- Explore tools that support teacher engagement in personal reflection, classroom observations, and collaborative dialogue to improve personal practice.
Course Modules Include:
- Module 1. Quality Questioning Overview
- Module 2. Framing Questions: Examining Content and Purpose
- Module 3. Framing Questions: Determining Cognitive Level
- Module 4. Framing Questions: Considering Context and Wording
- Module 5. Think Time
- Module 6. Scaffolding to Make Thinking Visible
- Module 7: Questioning as Formative Assessment
- Module 8: Providing Feedback to Students
- Module 9: Developing Response-Ability
- Module 10: Collaborative Learning and Discussion
- Module 11: Creating a Culture for Thinking
Download full syllabi below.